Restart-Ed Ltd was founded in 2010 by Ben Gibbs. It enables him to apply what he’s learned from nearly 20 years experience and training in the sector, since training to teach in 1998. His rather eccentric career has included:
- an eye-opening baptism of fire at one of the government’s first ‘Fresh Start’ schools supporting a ‘super-head’ in turning a ‘failing school’ round in a hostile political environment
- a secondment at the DfES (2000), negotiating deals to sponsor the first academy schools, and other national education initiatives
- providing marketing research and strategic communications consultancy to UK independent schools
- five years at a leading international assessment organisation, developing and managing accreditation and quality assurance business with global private, public and government sector clients
- gaining an MEd (Open 2007) with a focus on leadership and management, and sitting the University of Melbourne’s MOOC on the ‘assessment and teaching of 21C skills’
- twelve years as a school governor, during which time we became a specialist school, appointed a new head, set an entirely new strategy, joined a MAT, achieved success on Ofsted & DfE terms, tried to leave a failing MAT (but couldn’t), failed to get additional support when required, suffered a brutal & contentious Ofsted inspection, lost an SLT and were disbanded
Ben is a busy dad / frustrated sailor, loves walking up hills and cycling down them, is (according to his kids) “always reading Private Eye or boring books about organisations and schools and stuff”, and is slowly coming to terms with the realities of middle-age, and the fact that his knees don’t work properly any more.